British independent schools are celebrated for their holistic approach to education, nurturing the whole individual, not just focusing on exams.
When looking around a school it’s important to consider the pastoral support, particularly if you are thinking about sending your child to a boarding school where there will be less parental interaction.
Here are a few questions to consider asking the school during your visits:
- Who is responsible for the pastoral guidance in the school?
- What happens when your child is ill? Who looks after them and when are parents brought in?
- What is the food like? Are children encouraged to eat healthily and regularly?
- What is the head’s attitude to discipline and does it fit in with yours?
- How are students supported if they are not enjoying school?
- How does the school deal with bullies and how are those bullied supported?
- Are all children given the opportunity to try out new sports?
- How does the school support those children who are less able in certain disciplines?
Enjoy Education Mentoring
We have a brilliant network of mentors who work closely with our students to ensure they are fully supported, grow in their confidence and are able to make sensible decisions independently.
Our mentors are trained to motivate, guide and advise students on what is needed to achieve their goals and benefit from a happy and fulfilled education.
Mentors may support students by creating personal and educational goals and objectives, monitoring each student´s learning progress, assisting international families by liaising with the school and guiding the student towards the next step of their education.
Independent Skills Coaching
Developing the skills to be an independent learner is essential to ensure your child reaches their full potential. However, the skills needed to achieve this – often known as Executive Skills – are interestingly not fully developed in young adults until they are 25 years old. We recognise that students need support and guidance to ensure they are able to make the most of their education and the critical years of development and have exclusively partnered with a team of educational psychologists to provide first-class coaching for our families.
For more information please contact Sophie Stead.